If there’s one thing we’ve learned about Al Lover over the past two and a half years—be it through his Headway Remixes compilation or original projects—the guy loves distortion, dust, and psychedelia. While those sounds have remained crucial to his approach to producing, he has developed enough as an artist to not allow them to become stale. Instead, they collect into a singular, shape-shifting calling card that, at times, drifts a bit more into hip-hop than he may even realize.
That’s where his latest single, “The Shadow Self Shake,” comes into play. The dust-covered drums are everything an abrasive-leaning rapper could ever desire, as they basically cry out for something, anything to complement their attention-grabbing sound. And yet, you remain completely sucked in to the instrumental. It may never get the vocals you think it deserves, but it actually remains all the better for it. Lover clearly knows his way around crafting an instrumental and keeping it rich and varied enough to live on its own, and “The Shadow Self Shake” demonstrates that beautifully. Just wait for the guitar solo.
- 09.16 | FR, TOULOUSE — LA DYNAMO
- 09.17 | FR, PARIS — ESPACE B
- 09.18 | BE, BRUSSELS — MADAME MOUSTACHE
- 09.19 | FR, ANGERS – AUSTIN PSYCH FEST PRESENTS: LEVITATION FRANCE @ LE CHABADA
- 09.20 | FR, ANGERS – AUSTIN PSYCH FEST PRESENTS: LEVITATION FRANCE @ LE CHABADA
- 09.23 | UK, GLASGOW — NO MEAN CITY FESTIVAL @ O2 ABC
- 09.24 | UK, LEICESTER — THE MUSICIAN
- 09.25 | UK, SHEFFIELD — THE HARLEY
- 09.26 | UK, LIVERPOOL — LIVERPOOL INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL OF PSYCHEDELIA
- 10.01 | UK, LONDON — BIRTHDAYS DALSTON
- 10.02 | ES, MADRID — 4 LATAS
- 10.04 | ES, SAN SEBASTIAN — DONOSTIKLUBA